Monday 17 October 2011

Day 4 in China: First day at work

I am very nervous, I am not sure what to expect. But let's go, life isn't slowing down one little bit, so I just have to try keep up. Bring it on!

I drove in with Karl and arrived shortly before 9. My Working hours are 9am - 6pm weekdays, and 9am - 12 every other Saturday I think, with a 1 hour break for lunch at 12. The building is very impressive, pretty huge. We walked in the the big main entrance, and grabbed an elevator to the 11th floor, that's where our office is. Karl brought me to his office (which has a great view by the way, I will post pictures) and I waited for other staff to arrive so I could meet them. First up was a man named Rain! Very pleasant man, he is the computer technician for the company. I then met Tina, one of Karl' secretaries, then I met Sandy, a very lovely girl. She is my team leader, looks like I will turn to her if I have any problems. Following this I was shown to my work station.


I walked past rows and rows of tables filled with computers, books, stray pieces of garments and fabrics. The office is very busy! People were rushing around and on the phone and taking pictures of clothing items on dummies. I'm really in for it now, hope I can cope. Rain set me up with an old laptop and a phone at my desk, helped me set up my email account, and let me sit and fidget about.




Was really really far out of my comfort zone at this point. Sitting with nothing to do, surrounded by people speaking in a language I don't yet understand. I could feel the glares as well, wasn't feeling to happy there and then. But, had to stick it out. Lunch time rolled around, and I went to the canteen with a team member named Alice, seem's we're both very shy. We didn't talk too much, and headed back to the office afterwards. I spent the rest of the day browsing through the company websites and trying to understand/decipher the Chinese. Work should pick up tomorrow when I have something to do.

Travelled home with Jimmy and Karl, and one of the maids had dinner more or less ready for us when we got home. Going to be spoiled as long as I stay in the house. After dinner, I plodded up to bed, and was asleep by 8 o'clock. Very exhausting day!

Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

I'll keep you posted!

Michael

1 comment:

  1. Brigid Mc Guigan22 October 2011 at 21:31

    hello from auntie "B". glad to see that you have arrived safe and have settled into your new roll. What an amazing opportunity. Take care and chat soon.

    Much love!

    ReplyDelete