Monday 17 October 2011

Day 3 in China: Home to Hangzhou


Day 3: I am travelling with Karl's wife; Yanti, and the kids back to their home in Hangzhou today, Karl will be going ahead of us on his Harley. He had just been on a 7 day bike ride with about 200 other bikers during the week, it sounded like great fun, he had many stories to tell, including getting an interview with the Wall Street Journal!  I woke and packed up my things from the hotel, then left with everyone at about noon.

Delicious Cantonese meal in Shanghai
We decided we would get some food in the city before going home, so we hopped in the taxis, driven by Jackie and Jimmy, Karl's taxi drivers! They dropped us off on a busy street in the middle of the city, and Yanti the kids and I went to find somewhere to get some food. I wasn't picky, so I let them decide. We ate on a street filled with many different small restaurants, ours sold Cantonese food. Time to put my chopstick skills to the test! We took our seats, and I let Yanti order my food (I had no idea what anything was), and after a short while, small plates and dishes were laid in front of us. Everything was presented very very well, very beautiful looking food. Smelled great too! I will post a few pictures later on. We all had a bit of a laugh at my attempts to pick up food with chopsticks, looks like I'll need a bit of practice if I want to survive in China. I started to get the hang of it, and tucked into some delicious food. I honestly can't tell you what I was eating, it was interesting to say the least. I know I had some spare ribs with a great sweet sauce, I had some spring rolls and... some strange looking small cylinders with prawns in them, some nice noodle soup, some savoury rice, and all washed down with green tea. I have taken a real liking to Chinese tea, it is so light and refreshing! I will be sure to take some home with me.
My room at Karl's place, complete with balcony!
After food I drove home to HZ whilst the others went to one of the clinics as there seemed to be a mild cold spreading around. The flat looks great, Karl was waiting for me to arrive, he had arrived a couple of hours before. He showed me around the house, then showed me to my room. Which I love by the way. It isn't very big, but I have always wanted a room of my own. There's even a small balcony, it's perfect. I unpacked all of my stuff. I am looking forward to living here, apparently there will be two maids working during the day as well. I have been laid in the lap of luxury.

Tomorrow is my first day at work.

Lets hope I can leap this next hurdle...

I'll keep you posted!

Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment