Sunday 2 October 2011

A Short Introduction!

Hi everyone, I guess it's about time i wrote my first blog entry!
I think i'll begin by just explaining the situation so far, so listen up!

As you can see in my 'About Me' section on the right hand column there, i am currently studying Computer Science, at the Coleraine campus of the University of Ulster. The course i am studying is a four year sandwich degree, meaning the third year is taken out to get a years work experience. The job must be related to the course you are studying, and must be approved by the university before you can begin working.

Along came June, and i had completed my exams, so it was time to begin the job hunt! I applied to a few different places, and had a couple of job interviews, unfortunately they were unsuccessful, but at least i was lucky enough to get some, the job market is VERY competitive at the moment. So it was time to branch out and try something else. I contacted a man who i knew had a pretty high up position within a business which has a large focus on e-commerce. I sent him a copy of my CV and explained the situation i was in, he later responded to me with extremely exciting news, he may have a position within his offices in China for me!

We stayed in contact for a few weeks, swapping details and trying to come up with a plan, i informed the university of all new information i acquired so i could see what they thought. My contact in China explained where the business was located, what my job description would consist of, and we discussed details of where i would be staying for the duration of my placement. When everything began to come together, i applied for my visa so i was allowed to work in China. We have just been tying up a few loose ends this past couple of weeks and everything seems pretty solid at the moment.

So that's where i am now! Flights booked, travel shopping done, and impatiently waiting for my flight on the morning of the sixth of October. Thursday really can't come soon enough! Of course i will miss everyone back home, but this is a once in a life time experience, not to be missed!

I will keep you all posted on the big happenings closer to the time of my departure! 

Wish me luck,

Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment