Tuesday 1 November 2011

Day 8 in China: First week of work completed!

Today is a big day for me. Today I will complete my first week of work!

Breakfast time, now I can safely say this is the first time I had spicy Indonesian rice in place of the normal toast or cereal, it was still very nice though! My eating habits have definitely drifted away from the norm a little.

Today at work I will be travelling to the Netops office. Netops play and important role in Giii's success. They provide customer service when there and amongst other things, they maintain our brand website (andrewmarc.com.cn). Me, Sandy and Lily were going to have a small meeting with some of the customer service team, to teach them about potential problems customers may have with a few garments that we expect to sell a lot of over the next short while. Product training time! We arrived at Netops and walked into the building, I actually couldn't believe it, rows and rows of computers and desks, all manned by young people, no older than 25 I'm sure. These kids are in control of millions of dollars worth of business, it was really amazing to see, not what I expected at all! Even our customer service support team, all kids! I sat in with them for a short time while they began to learn from Lily about the garments, then Sandy dragged me off to meet with the test engineer that made our website. 

You see, Karl thinks that it would be fantastic if I could redesign the ENTIRE website, completely by myself. So I am here today to speak with the engineer and let him tell me a little about how he made the website, and show me the tools and methods he uses. A very daunting task, but something I should approach with enthusiasm. How would it look to an employer in the future? Being able to say that I was trusted with such a great task, and succeeded. Building an entire website for a multimillion dollar company.

I met with the engineer, Huaike, who doesn't speak English, so my kind team leader Sandy, translated for us. He showed me the programs he uses, the main points I have to know, and he told me he would email me with the login information I would need to access the FTP server. I have a LOT to learn if this is going to be a success, I hope I can handle it, because i know it will be very difficult! I have made a website or two before, but they were very very basic.

After our brief meeting, I was brought back to the office. I was feeling good and adventurous today, so I thought I would walk out to the big Mixc mall near where the office building is. There's a Starbucks there, I walked in and ordered a mocha. In Chinese! Very proud of myself! Also, just before the end of the day, my brand new laptop arrived! A HP ProBook S. What a great day, here's hoping for more as interesting as this!

I will let you all know how my trip the the west lake goes tomorrow!
I'll keep you posted!

Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment